Thursday, April 17, 2014

DIY Wreath and Flowers

My SIL recently made a wreath that was made of burlap and some clip on flowers.  SUPER CUTE!!!  I decided I wanted to make a fun wreath as well...so, off to the store we went!  This post is going to be a LOT of photos.

I purchased all my supplies at Walmart and Michaels:

-1 wire wreath ($3.99 - Michaels but I had a 50% off coupon - $1.99)
-3 rolls 10 ft. long burlap ($3.47/roll - $10.41)
-Glue gun and glue sticks
-Felt sheets x 6 ($.29/sheet - $1.74)


Of course I forgot to take photos before I dove in.  I was excited!!!  All you do is push the burlap through the wires and poof it out a bit.  I went for a small poof to conserve my burlap (I only had 2 rolls but my SIL graciously gave me a third one).  There is no hot glue needed for this part.  And there is no right or wrong way to do this.  Just thread it and poof it.
It should look like this when finished.  You can manipulate the burlap to cover up all the wire.  I wanted to add some flowers to the wreath.  Michaels had some adorable flowers for sale, but they ranged from $1.99-$3.99 - I wasn't too thrilled with that idea because I either wanted 5 or 6 medium flowers or 1 XL flower.  SO, I decided to try my hand at making them myself.  Thanks to Pinterest (again), I was able to do that with just a few sheets of felt - for a fraction of the price.


























Here's my array of felt flowers.  Took me about 1 hour and some 3rd degree burns, but I dig the final product!!!  Next task was to figure out how to attach them to my wreath...

I just glued the strip on the edges, leaving the middle open for a clip.  In the end, I used bobby pins rather than clips.  The flowers were too heavy to just clip onto the burlap.  Instead, I bobby pinned them to the wire frame of the wreath.  Here's the final product.  I think it's just the thing to welcome spring and summer...yeah, still waiting for spring!

It turned out pretty nice - not sure Hubs is too wild about it, but he is so nice and smiles and says "looks good babe".  Total cost for this wreath was:  $14.14.  Michaels had burlap to purchase as well for less expensive because they had 50% off their ribbon, but I really wanted a chevron print on mine.  So, you could easily do this for less.

*Side Note:  You'll notice the sign on my door that says 'Please Remove Your Shoes' - that is yet another thing I am OCD about.  We spend a lot of time playing on the floor, having picnics and I fold laundry on the floor sometimes, so, I am the crazy woman that asks you to take your shoes off at the door.*

**I am not proof reading this post...so mock me if you will!**


No comments:

Post a Comment