Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Springs Coming!

Two weeks ago, I decided I wanted to start browsing for Easter basket items for Peanutty and Sweet Pickle.  You can never start too early, and I thought that I may be lucky and stumble across a few ideas and/or deals.  Well, I did.  And I completed both baskets in that one day.  I know Easter isn't for quite a few weeks, but I love to shop for the kids...and be done ahead of schedule...and check one more thing off the old list. 

When I was a kid, the Easter Bunny would fill my basket to the brim with candy.  Oh man, how I loved that basket - especially Rainblow egg bubblegum.  Sigh, it was a great thing to chew...until it got so hard and lost its flavor.  Easily fixed - just pop a new one in your mouth.  Delish.  Anyways, these days, I really only like giving the kids candy every so often.  Yes, I indulge from time to time, but isn't that one of the perks of being an adult?  You can say "I get to eat this king size Butterfinger before dinner because I'm the Mom (or Dad)".  Yes, I've done this - and it was so worth picking out the packed in peanut butter goodness from my teeth for the following 20 minutes.  Again, back on track Megan!  That all being said, I like to put fun other items in the kids' baskets - with a few sweet treats.  So, I'm going to share with you what I found.  AND, I'd also like to put it out there that I spent roughly $25 on each basket.  These things that we adults get to do for our children (Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny) is not only fun (and sneaky-you get to see what you're really made of in this department) but it can also be expensive - I thought I did pretty good this time around since I tend to get a little carried away sometimes.

We'll start with Peanutty - he is 5 1/2 years old:
  • Shark metal basket is from Pottery Barn Kids (I said I didn't shop at Pottery Barn, but I do partake in PBK clearance stuff from time to time) for $7.  This is NOT included in the $25 only because he's had this basket for 3 years and will continue to use it.
  • Books.  We LOVE books!!!  I purchased two Lego books that were $7 total for both.
  • Bunny silly straws. These were from Michaels and were $2 for 2.
  • Foam carrot rockets - purchased at Target in the dollar bins - $1.
  • Bunny sling shot - probably going to regret getting this but it's so something this kid will get a kick out of - again, Target dollar bins - $1.
  • Skylander trading cards - these usually run $1.99 but they were on sale for $1.29 at Target
  • Skylander Qubi (it's an ink stamp for crafting) - these usually run $2.99 but was on sale for $2.49 at Target.
  • Mini carton of Goldfish crackers - Target $1.
  • Annie's Homegrown Bunny Grahams - Target $1.
  • Whoppers carton of Robin Eggs - Target $1.
  • Survival bracelet - from Michaels $4
  • Jelly Belly bag - Target $1.
  • Bunny Burst Tic Tac's - Target $1.
  • Micro Terranrium - Prehistoric Fern - Michaels $1.29  This was my FAVORITE find for his basket:

And for Sweet Pickle who is 2 1/2:
  • Mermaid metal basket from PBK - $7 but not included in the $25 total.
  • Purple tutu - Target dollar bins $3.
  • Spring socks x 2 - Target dollar bins $1 each so $2 total.
  • Frozen book (the kid LOVES this movie, but so hard to find merchandise) - $4.
  • Jumping Frogs game - Target dollar bins $1.
  • Bunny silly straws - Michaels set of 2 for $2.
  • Disney Fairies, Princesses and Minnie tattoos - Michaels $3 for all.
  • Jelly Belly bag - Target $1.
  • Whoppers carton of mini Robin Eggs - Target $1.
  • Goldfish carton - Target $1.
  • Annie's Homegrown Bunny Grahams - Target $1.
  • Bunny Burst Tic Tacs - Target $1.
  • Micro Terrariums Fairie's Favorite Flower - Michaels $1.29
  • Stunt Ribbon - Michaels $2.99 this was my FAVORITE find for her basket:
And there you have it!  We're ready to rock and roll for Easter!!!  Here are some other ideas:
  • Small Lego set
  • Crafting supplies - paper, markers, crayons, stencils, glitter glue, stickers, stamps, paper...this list could go on forever.
  • Hot Wheels cars
  • Play jewelry
  • Glider airplanes - Michaels has an extensive aisle with all sorts of random fun stuff in it.  Ranging from $1-$3
  • Target had a TON of other items as well in their dollar bins.  I highly recommend browsing these aisles.
  • Seeds - either for a veggie/fruit garden or flowers.  Playing off that theme, you could put in a kids set of gardening tools, gloves, little pots and some soil.
  • Walmart also carries some fun little stuff in their seasonal aisles.  Just need to look around and find some steals.
  • Movies
  • Books
  • Panini sticker books - these are themed books that you can purchase packets of stickers to go in them.  Sweet Pickle has the Disney Princess one that I got at The Dollar Store - it was $1 (duh) and the sticker packs have 7 stickers in them for $1.  They also have an Avengers book - they had this at the Dollar Store as well as Target.  During the Christmas holidays they had a Disney Christmas themed book and stickers out.  I love these books.
Those are just a few ideas and but there are so many more!!!  Have fun with it, because this is one of the many bonuses to being an adult!  That and the Butterfinger before dinner...just saying. 

Happy Tuesday!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment