- There is the little lamp (thanks for that AT!) that I want to do a little DIY project on. I want to cover the shade with a different fabric by ModPodging it. I haven't found the right fabric yet and I'm a little scared to do it as well.
- The butter has to sit out on the counter - have you ever tried to spread cold butter on anything? It just tears it up and leaves you with mangled toast. Both Peanutty and Sweet Pickle are allergic to margarine (strange, but true) so butter all the way in this house!!!
- Then there are the three canisters...look familiar? Ta-da! Two of the smallest variety are keeping my fake grass look sharp and crisp! These were $1.29 each from IKEA. You think I'm loco for these? You're right. They are inexpensive and SO versatile!!!
One thing that I want to accomplish with my blog is to show people how I organize and maybe inspire others to enjoy organizing as much as I do. I really love shopping at places like The Container Store and IKEA, but we don't have either of these stores where I'm from. I've online shopped from TCS a couple times and been there twice now (it's like the Mother Ship calling me home). While there is a plethora of items to choose from at TCS - they are a little pricey, but you can sometimes snag a few good deals. IKEA is a fantastic place to purchase inexpensive items as well, but I've only been there three times in my life (*Side note: set aside at least 3 hours for a trip to IKEA. There's no "I've got to buzz into IKEA to grab something" - you will get sucked in to the Swedish business*).
I get frustrated when I read other organizing blogs that have super cute items/ideas in them but they've been purchased at a.) a store that I don't have access to other than online (online shopping is great, but, I like to get my hands on the items before I buy) b.) an expensive store like Pottery Barn or c.) just totally out of my budget. This is when I get creative. I think outside the box and figure out something similar to what I like...but do it cheaper. Yes, I do splurge every now and then but it's very few and far between - and sometimes, it's worth it. My suggestions for places to shop for organizing items are:
- Target - sigh, I can't say enough about this place. It makes me happy. Period.
- Walmart - they have quite a bit to choose from and reasonably priced.
- Dollar Stores (Dollar Tree, Dollar General) - these can be hit or miss, but every time I've been on the prowl for something...they've had it.
- Michaels - I've gotten some pretty stellar deals from here. Always seek out the clearance aisle..it's usually in the back somewhere and you can find some gems! Sign up for their email alerts - you can get some awesome deals like 25% your entire purchase INCLUDING sale/clearance items!
- Hobby Lobby - same as Michaels, you never know what you'll find here - and they usually have a coupon online for 40% off one regular priced item.
- TJ Maxx - hit or miss...this place gives me severe anxiety. For real. It's so disorganized that I have a hard time wrapping my mind around what I'm looking at. But, sometimes you can find a very good deal! You just have to be willing to put in the time to roam.
- Home Goods - I've NEVER been here, BUT I've heard it's much like a TJ Maxx. I'd love to go to one though!!!