Tuesday, September 29, 2015

NSS Conclusion and Elsa Cape

It's September 29th and I'm calling No Spend September officially over.  Mainly because I went to Target today...and I purchased a couple clearance items for next summer.  They had Speedo kids goggles (the kind that go over the nose), $6 for each pair.  I snagged up one pair for each kiddo.  Aaaannnndddd...I may have purchased some party favors for one of the kids' Halloween party coming up in 4 short weeks.  Aaaannnnndddd...I may have also purchased a movie.  Ok, that's it, for real. 

Here's a few more things I jotted down over the past week of things that we do, or don't do, to save money.  I know there are thousands of things you can do to save money, and I'd love to hear what you all do...I'm always collecting ideas to save a buck!!!

  • I very VERY rarely wear make up.  Not that I shouldn't, I just don't.  It's not a 'movement' I'm starting, it's just who I am.  I will wear make up from time to time for special occasions or if I'm feeling saucy and want to wear it.  My make up expires before I use it up.  I have never used a mascara until it's dry.  This, of course, is personal preference, and not for everyone.
  • I use Suave hair products, or whatever is on sale.  It saves a butt load of money and I like it.  From time to time the Sunday paper will have a coupon for buy one get one (usually has a price limit of up to a $2.79 value or something like it).  
  • We don't spend the extra money on personalized things such as: return address labels (we have received these as gifts from our insurance agent for the holidays, they're very cute...and free), special checks (what are those, you ask?  Those are the things you write to pay bills...these things are becoming an item of the past, but we purchase the cheapest set that's available.  They last us about a year or more since we rarely use them, but if it saves us $20, I'm in).
  • If you have children in school, they most likely come home with Scholastic book orders.  I adore these things.  So we don't break the bank, we set a limit on ordering.  For example, you can tell your kids you'll purchase one book for each kid and they have to be $5 or less.  OR, just choose two or three to order from each year.  I love these things because the books are reasonably priced, they earn free books for the classroom, they have books for $1-$2 AND they're great to purchase holiday or birthday gifts for family and friends.
  • Fund raisers.  I know your child brings those home.  If it gets to be too much, choose one that you'll put your efforts into each school year.  These things can be overwhelming, so just do what you can and don't stress over it.
  •  Get rid of cable and get Netflix, rent from Redbox, or rent from your library.  
  • It's getting to be that time of year again...the time for all things casseroles, turkey dinners, yummy hearty meals...and sales on canned green beans, corn, cream of chicken (sorry, mushrooms make this family barf so we don't buy cream of barf aka mushroom soups), and chicken broth.  These things will go anywhere from $.25-$.50 per can on the right sale.  We stock up on these items every fall and are set for an entire year.  We do NOT purchase broth much because we make our own when we crock pot chicken and shred it for future use.  Worth it.
  • We don't purchase soda.  A couple years ago, Hubs decided he wanted to cut soda out of his daily diet.  He went cold turkey and I followed suit.  This saves us a lot of money at the grocery store...and we're healthier for it too.
  • Gift giving is one of my favorite things to do.  But it's even better when you get a deal!  I highly recommend the dollar bins at Target and clearance racks everywhere.  It's worth taking the time to look because you never know what you'll find.
Over the past month, I've noticed things that will need to be replaced eventually so I made a list rather than just buzzing out to purchase it.  We need a new griddle, new small plastic spatulas, bath mats...but these are things that can wait or I can purchase one every now and again.  OR, the holidays are coming around so maybe I can ask Santa for these...what a lovely stocking...full of housewares. 

 Forgive me if I've already posted this, but I'm going to post again.  If you're like me, you like a little something with pictures to look at.  Last winter I saw a little hooded cape in a shop that I thought my niece would love.  The only problem was they wanted $30 for the thing.  I was sure I could make it, took some mental notes and then purchased the supplies.  My niece LOVES Frozen, shocker right?  Like most little girls, I said MOST, she adores Elsa.  So I wanted to make it the blue color Elsa wears, and I found some sparkly silver ribbon and snowflake buttons.  I used 1.5 yards of this silky fabric, and it was horrible to work with to be frank.
 



 I had to use binder clips to hold the fabric in place.  It was slippery and annoying to work with...not to mention I learned the hard way that this is in no way to be ironed...I may have melted it.  Thank goodness I always over buy fabric just in case I singe anything.  I was terrible about taking pix during the making of this.  But, I know I looked up directions on Pinterest and just made it my own by jazzing it up with the ribbon and buttons.



 I used stretch elastic for the "clasp" of Velcro around the neck.  I wanted it to tear away should it get caught on something or someone grabbed her from behind.



Not pictured was the little finger loops I sewed so the cape would go where she went. 

I know this isn't the best DIY explanation, but I thought I'd throw this out there just in case anyone wanted to make their little Elsa a costume for Halloween.  All together the cost was about $8, some time, a little variety of colorful words from melting and the fabric slipping everywhere.  Luckily, she loved it...at least that's what she said. 

Ok, enough for today.  Time to do some sewing I've been putting off for about 3 months.  Not sure when I'll blog next, but if I get a good project going, you all will be the first to know!

Have a great Tuesday and enjoy!!!  Until next time...

*Side Note: If you want a good laugh, watch the movie 'Spy'.
**Side Note II: Christmas will be here before we know it, so start shopping now.  I started last month and will be done before Thanksgiving.  Those holiday crowds give me the heebies and germs.
***Side Note III:  I'm not proof reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment