Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Organizing Me

Lately I've been having a hellava time getting motivated to do much of anything.  It's summer, my kids are home and I feel like I want to just say "forget it" when it comes to the "needs to be done" list.  Oh yes, I have lists upon lists upon lists that I should do.  These lists are either written down or in my head.  When the lists are in my head, I tend to start having stressful days, freak out moments and a little short tempered.  I've decided to share some of the things that I do or have that help make my life easier.  Some of these things are a repeat from past posts, but I need a boost.  I'm hoping that by publishing my thoughts, I'll be able to get my sh!t together.  Or in other words:  Organizing Me.

Here goes:

1.  A clean kitchen is by far my #1.  I know this sounds crazy but in our home, this is where I am a huge portion of my day.  Between cooking, meal planning, activities with the kids, eating meals, sorting mail...etc...it's the zone for everything.  When my kitchen is a mess, my mind is in complete disarray.  You think I'm kidding?  I'm not.  My kitchen cannot be cluttered or have anything on the counters/table.  A place for everything and everything in its place.  95% of the time, I make sure the kitchen is cleaned up before I go to bed.  Last night, I did no such thing (I seized the opportunity to binge watch Teen Wolf [I'm not kidding about this either nor am I ashamed...it's good stuff]).  I woke up this morning a little cranky and when I came out to the kitchen I felt immediately stressed.  I took 15 minutes to clean it all up and instantly felt better.  I know it's crazy but when the central part of this home is out of sorts, so am I.  The flowers on the table make me smile too...it's the little things (they're fake but will last a lifetime...until I change it up).


2.  My Planner.  I know, snore fest!  I've blabbed about this stinking thing time and time again, but I'm still in love.  I've had 3 of these planners and I adore it.  It's great to jot things down and I get a week at a glance that helps me remember what I need to do, where we all need to be and most important; when we get to have free time!  It's worth the purchase...and they just came out with a whole new slew of add-ons.  Check it out - you won't regret it:  www.erincondren.com
3.  These Post-Its.  While the planner serves a great purpose, sometimes there just isn't enough room for all the lists I have going.  Sometimes you just need to list a couple things and having a whole sheet of paper is a pain in the ass.  I had 3 lists going at the same time just last week for multiple things.  Once the list was complete, I could toss it and forget about it.  They're small enough to put in your backpack, purse or car.  $6 for 4 pads is worth the money to me. I had 3 sheets going at the same time: quick grocery list, birthday to-do's for Peanutty, and a pros and cons list for purchasing a vehicle (this is a real struggle right now - I hate car shopping - worse than shopping for jeans and swim wear - at least I don't have to worry that someone is trying to rip me off when I'm buying capris).
4.  Have something to look forward to at the end of the day.  Even though the neighbor girl is more excited to see me than my own kids, I look forward to seeing them and the Hubs.  Being home is my prize at the end of the day, but it's even better when I can look forward to something for just me after Peanutty and Sweet Pickle go to bed.  A good book or a movie/tv (ahem Teen Wolf) show is all it takes for me to get excited for "me" time.  It also motivates me to get my stuff done so I can spend more time doing something I really want to do.  Eye on the prize!

While it's not a huge list, it's what helps me.  I'd love to hear things that others do to get life under control and organized!  I hope you have a most marvelous Tuesday!!!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment